I was born in the 90s and have had the fortune of growing up in a decade with some absolute classics – some tragic, others magic – which I still find difficult to shake off today even though it’s 2014. It’s always nice to listen to a song from ‘back in the day’ and be swept back to childhood when all you had to worry about was going to school and which friend you were going to break up with that day. Some of the songs on this list I absolutely love and will always remain timeless for me; others are linked to a strong memory or event in the past. I have found that songs have a strange way of linking themselves to a time in your life and remaining that way; listening to a song is so much more powerful in reviving a distant memory – sometimes unnervingly so. However, 90s songs will always be a gem for me – a reminder of the days of trying to record songs off the radio, listening to my Sony Walkman and pleading with my Dad to buy me the latest MP3 player.
Here are list of the ten 90s songs which will probably remain on my iPod indefinitely:
1. Angel Of Mine – Monica (1998) Eternal also have a version of this song which is slightly more upbeat.
2. So Into You – Tamia (1998) A great R&B-pop song; Fabolous did a remix with Tamia of this song a few years later but I prefer this original by far.
3. Sometimes – Britney Spears (1999) I still remember dancing around my room to this!
4. I Turn To You – Christina Aguilera (1999) Great song to belt out in the shower when feeling emotionally volatile.
5. Truly Madly Deeply – Savage Garden (1997) This song makes me sad and it makes me feel happy. It confuses me.
6. I Love The Way You Love Me – Boyzone (1998) Timeless boyband classic.
7. Bring It All To Me – Blaque (1999) I used to think their outfits/makeup/hair were so cool 😀
8. Hidden Agenda – Craig David (2002) Ok so this song doesn’t fall into ’90s’ per say, but it’s close enough. Craig David also comes from Southampton and went to school with my brother. So homies from Soton always supported other homies from Soton.
9. Miss You – Aaliyah (2002 posthumously) Again not exactly in the ’90s’, but it feels like it was.
10. Breathe Again – Toni Braxton (1992) Not sure what to make of the wedding dress/maze video… but the song makes up for it.
So that’s the list. There are many more actually now that I think about it, *NSync, Backstreet Boys, Boys II Men, Spice Girls, Destiny’s Child etc. I miss the 90s!